Left to my own devices, I’d probably have burritos two out of three meals a day. Veggies, cheese, and meat all cozied up and snuggly in a warm tortilla blanket? Yes, please.
The thing with breakfast burritos is that, as much as I love them, I just don’t have time to make them before work. Given the choice between food and sleep, I choose sleep. Instead of making fresh burritos in the morning, I spend a little prep time making a batch on the weekend, wrap them in parchment paper, and grab one and go in the morning. How’s that for planning ahead?
These breakfast burritos are packed with roasted veggies and bacon (or the protein of your choice), but I don’t use eggs? Why? One simple reason: Chris hates reheated eggs.
I don’t miss them in this burrito because everything else is so flavorful and filling, but if you want to stretch an extra few burritos out of this recipe or need that eggy goodness, feel free to add them in. This recipe is easily customizable, so substitute whatever makes your belly happy.
My secret to making these burritos ultra freezer-friendly is wrapping them in parchment paper and then storing them in a freezer-safe bag. The parchment paper helps me be able to eat them on the go more easily and avoid heating them up in plastic wrap… ew. It also keeps the tortilla from completely drying out in the microwave, which is a HUGE microwavable burrito pet-peeve of mine.
I’ll often pull a burrito out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw overnight in the fridge, but these can also be reheated very quickly when pulled straight from the freezer. It’s also nice to keep a few little containers of sour cream and salsa prepped so everything is ready to grab and go in the morning.
- 1 Medium to Large Sweet Potato, peeled and diced
- 1 Medium to Large Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Pound Bacon
- 2 Cups Mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 Cup White Onion, diced
- 1/2 Cup Black Beans, rinsed
- 3 Teaspoons Olive Oil
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Cup Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
- 8 Tortillas
- Toss diced sweet potatoes with 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Spread in one even layer across a cookie sheet and bake on 350 degrees for 20 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- While the potatoes roast, cook the bacon according to the instructions. When the bacon is cooked, set it aside and allow to cool. Empty the bacon fat into a container to toss out (never down the sink!), but do not clean out the pan.
- Put the pan back on the heat and cook onions and bell pepper until slightly soft. Add mushrooms and continue cooking until vegetables are soft.
- Roughly chop the cooled bacon.
- Mix the cooked potatoes, onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, black beans, and bacon in a bowl and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper and stir until spices are mixed.
- Place spoon 1/3 – 1/2 cup of filling mix onto the tortilla. Top with 2 tablespoons of cheese and then wrap the burrito.
- Wrap the burrito in a piece of parchment paper. Repeat until all burritos are assembled and wrapped.
- Place the burritos in a freezer-safe bag and position in the freezer so the burritos are lying down.
To heat from frozen: Unwrap and loosely rewrap the parchment paper. Microwave on 60-70% power for 1 minute, then turn burrito on its other side and repeat.
To heat from thawed: Unwrap and loosely rewrap the parchment paper. Microwave for 30 seconds, then turn burrito on its other side and repeat.
*Please note that microwave times may vary depending on the one you’re using.
Super easy and delicious! The ingredients are all super inexpensive and doubling a batch so you have breakfast for a week or two at a time is a cinch. I hope you enjoy these as much as Chris and I do. If you made some modifications, drop me a comment below and let me know how they turned out.
1 comments on “Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Burritos”